This week in Media Design/Photography, we discussed the concept and different techniques of lighting. I feel like these will really help my photography improve.
The most important things I learned were:
• Types of light: Front, Side, Back
• Overcast light : This is sometimes called “even light” & the clouds act as a filter.
• “Sunny 16 Rule”: I had no idea this even existed. This makes me want to shoot on a sunny day.
• The Sky Brothers : They can help me with metering & get the correct exposure.
The things I want to remember are:
• Sidelight is best for portraits.
• Overcast lighting is good for close-ups of flowers (I hope to get some once the weather is nicer & things start to bloom).
• I can use reflectors when dealing with backlight to avoid shadows.
• There’s a time period of about 20 minutes after sunset where the light is a dusky, blue color, which makes for some cool pictures.
I’m really enjoying this class and learning a lot of useful skills that I think will benefit me in the future. Lighting is crucial to great photography.